Thursday, January 31, 2008

Schwed

I got an email today from TV Guide and the title was RE: Sad News.

Well hell, TVG was sold and I thought everyone had lost their jobs.

I started reading and saw the name Mark Schwed and then "passed away."

Oh my god came out of my mouth several times and then I realized I was saying it out loud...really loud. I turned my back on the computer. No. No. Not Mark.

I worked with him for years. He was a brilliant writer, friend, drinking buddy, smoking buddy...he was just an incredible person.

He accepted people for who they were. He never judged people on what he had heard, he found it out for himself. There were very few people he didn't like and no one that didn't like him.

He was laid off from TVG a few years ago and moved to Florida where his family lives. His funeral is on Saturday.

I thought "That sucks...there are so many people here that loved him and most can't fly to Florida."

Well, low and behold...the wonders of Hollywood...

His hang out, which was Dan Tana's, will be holding a memorial service for him next Friday.

Minneee, T and me and so many others use to hang out with him there. A famous hole in the wall. It was great. It was his home away from home.

Last memories...

When I came back to TVG his first question..."Why the hell did you come back?" Then he showed me a stapler of mine that I had on my first stint there that he found it in the office supply room. He told me he saw a white label that said "INDIA'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" He kept it because I used enough !'s to mean I was serious. He returned it to me the day he left.

A year after he moved back to Florida he came back through Hollywood. I was at my desk and heard a voice. I thought "Sounds like Schwed...Nahhh." I heard it again. "Yup...that's Schwed." I took off down the hallway, turned the corner and saw his face.

"MARK!"

"India"

I ran towards him with my arms open and he caught me. "You still have the stapler?" he said.

"Yup."

He was an amazing person.

The world got a hell of a lot darker without him here today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home