Saturday, March 25, 2006

I’ve been thinking about someone for awhile….

It was in Texas. He was in a band and he was also married.

The band was staying at a prostitute infested crack motel near downtown Dallas. He called me on Sunday afternoon and wanted to see me. I pulled in the parking lot and the whole band and roadies were in one of the rooms with the music blaring, eating lunch and drinking beer. I still remember the tape I was playing and the song that was on. I was playing it because they use to do a cover of it in their sets and he use to sing it, “Paradise City” by Guns and Roses. The song was almost over so I sat there for a few seconds staring at my hands in my lap thinking what am I doing here, this guy is married. When I looked up he was leaning against the door jam of the hotel room looking at me smiling. Long read hair down to his waste all in a frazzle as it always was. He walked over to the car and said “What ya doing just sittin out here?” I said I was just listening to the end of a song. He opened the car door for me and we went into the motel room. I said hi to all the guys, me and my friends knew them all very well. One of my friends was dating the drummer and the other was dating one of the roadies. We hung out for awhile and he asked if I wanted to see the pool. I said “They actually have a pool in this place?” He led me out side to the smallest pool I had ever seen, maybe 20X10 and completely dry. We climbed down the stairs and hung out the vast drought of this thing. It was really cool actually. Then one of the roadies screamed out that he had a phone call. He yelled back “Who is it?” The roadie screamed back “Dude, it’s your wife”. He disappeared for a few mins. The music instantly fell silent when he was on the phone. I could hear them fighting. I had never met her but I knew a lot of people that had. From what I gathered she was a tyrant. Who knows and who am I to judge especially standing in an empty pool on a Sunday afternoon with a married man.

He came back out and wanted to walk across the street. We went 20 feet to the most beautiful golf course I had ever seen. We walked to a small hill and sat down. He talked about his wife and how unhappy he was but at the point he was at he couldn’t do anything about the situation because of his daughter. He said that his wife had threatened that if he ever left her she would take their daughter and disappear and he would never see her again.

With a sigh he stood up and went around behind me. His left leg touched my left shoulder and his right, my right shoulder. I wrapped my arms around each of his legs. He bent over and kissed me on the forehead. He had to get back it was about time for sound check. He helped me up and we hugged for what seemed like a long time. He kissed me at my car and I left. I went and saw him play that night. Not long after that I moved here. They came to town to play right before. I got to see him one more time. It was a pretty tuff night. I never saw him again after that. I did hear through the grapevine a few years later that he finally got divorced and then remarried. I was happy for him. He finally got out of the situation he was in. It definitely hurt but I was glad he was finally happy.

I guess the reason I wrote this tonight is I still miss him. I just think that’s funny. I haven’t seen him in years….I guess I miss the feeling that I felt when I was with him.

2 Comments:

Blogger james r. said...

this must have been hard for you to write. i found it touching to read. i think there're a lot of us who find ourselves thinking about The One Who Got Away, and how, maybe if things had just been a little different... ah well. maybe i'll write about mine, sometime.

12:56 AM  
Blogger mindy said...

we always think.. what if?? life is so unpredictable.. so many different outcomes.. hope you had a good time tonight!! love you!

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home