Monday, June 05, 2006

Driving though the park today…

There was a man and his daughter out on the grass. The little girl was probably around 3 or 4. The father was lying on his side, on a blanket, with his hand propping up his head. The little girl was in a red dress and she was playing with a white balloon. Laughing and hitting it so it would fly up in the sky and then chasing it as it fell back to the ground. Such a simple toy for this day and age but it looked like she was having so much fun.

I still remember the simple toys when I was a kid. One of my favorites was when my mom bought a new fridge. The box was the most amazing thing ever! It was my little house for weeks. It’s little cut out windows and Door. It was fabulous! Eventually it rained and my little house was a victim of cardboard collapse. My brother tried to fix it for me but to know avail it was just too soggy. My mom said I kept asking her to buy another fridge so I could have a new house.

I guess seeing the little girl in the park made me think. What happened to the simple things in life? Kids have TV’s, computers, MP3 players, video games….hell…adults too. I know the world needs to evolve but it was nice to see that little girl having so much fun with something as simple as a balloon and seeing the smile on her fathers face.

I think I might have to buy some balloons. I bet my dogs would love them…and me too.

2 Comments:

Blogger mindy said...

i filled a bucket with water and that was my barbies swimming pool.. i thought it was too cool.
i never see kids playing red rover anymore. i loved that game. (didn't it have something to do with easter egg colors??)

7:40 AM  
Blogger james r. said...

i took my daughter out kite-flying, last summer. the simple things are often the best.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home