Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Shall we talk about food?


Taco Bell…It’s brought me through so many hard times in my life…hard times meaning some ugly hangovers. Plus their signature saying would have to bring some form of sex to mind. Ya got to love that. Taco Bell is the comfort food of a mis-placed Texan in the middle of some really shitty food out here. There is no good Mexican food here…none…nada…nothing….believe me.

I can do sushi…I actually like it, not the raw, cooked only. However, I think the thing I like most about it is the soy sauce and the wasabi…because I am a condiments kind of girl. Ok…the sake doesn’t hurt….and Sapporo…

I would fly to Texas any day to get a Whataburger over any cheeseburger here.

Hate Ethiopian food…never knew there were restaurants that served it, especially since they don’t have it in Ethiopia…it seems….only in LA.

There’s a lot of bread and veggies here…brochette…fancy name for toast with some tomatoes thrown on top. I can fucking do that at home…but do I really want it? No. I will also say no to tartar…a sleek word…that means raw. Just tell me the fucking shit is raw, don’t make me vomit over the misconception.

I’m not sure I’ll ever be healthy. I love seafood…that’s healthy but can I afford it. It’s so much easier to eat cheap and eat crap…and I must say, most of the time it tastes so much better.

My grandmother and grandfather lived long lives eating what they were raised on. All the shit that Dr’s. say is so bad for us. Bacon sandwiches roast and potatoes, fried chicken, fried okra…everything fried to me is good. Guess it depends on your body’s build.

Guess I’m old Bible belt. I’ll take my grandmother’s fried chicken, mashed potatoes with country gravy and biscuits over living a year longer. If she was still alive and I could have it again…one night with her…I’d give 10 years of my life to sit and talk to her one more time.

I still can’t perfect her fried chicken, or the biscuits but I can do her country gravy….and her pie crust… she taught me well.

Now I want biscuits and sausage gravy…maybe a little boiled coffee and some toast with homemade jam...

Me, swinging my legs from a chair to high for me, in a white nightgown sitting across from my grandma…

5 in the morning, dark outside and her telling me about her life.

Oh how I miss her.

4 Comments:

Blogger megaton said...

my grandmother used to think taco bell was a phone company.

she was a cool lady.

3:05 AM  
Blogger Otis said...

I will make a point to go to Whataburger, have one, and toast you.

5:48 AM  
Blogger mindy said...

taco bell, a phone company! that's so funny.
my grandmother fried everything too! she used to have a cup or vat? of grease everywhere. how funny... i miss her too! i hope our grandchildren think that we are cool.
oh yeah.. don't forget about taco bueno!! come back and we'll hit bueno, whataburger, panchos (yum!), and eat until we are sick.

6:08 AM  
Blogger iamfallingfromgrace said...

panchos...ahhhh raise the flag for me....the best worst food i've ever eaten.

for people within driving distance of a whataburger...you don't know what ya got till it's gone....

and i think that my grandma thought taco bell was a phone company as well....because in texas it's all about the taco bueno.

who came up with taco "bell" by the way...what is that?

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home