Friday, May 19, 2006

Lovely….

There is a lot of construction going on in the building I work. Hence, construction men. I went out to smoke around 11 and when I came in and was waiting for the elevator a construction worker came in with food. He had his hands full. Him, another man and I got into an elevator. Since his hands were full he asked the other man to “swipe” him to the 3rd floor (we have security cards that only allow us to go to our companies own floors) his card didn’t work. I said I had access and swiped 3 for him. He graciously thanked me. When the elevator stopped on the 3rd floor he started to step out, but paused, turned to me and said “You look lovely today”. I said “Thank you, that’s sweet.” He walked off the elevator and the doors closed. I wanted to turn to the other man and say “Did you hear what he said???? I look lovely today!!” No, I didn’t….but I really wanted to.

That man will never know (that is, unless I see him again, because I will tell him) how special he made me feel. I actually thought after he said it, in a split second that a Playboy Bunny miraculously appeared behind me in the elevator and he was talking to her, not me. I almost felt embarrassed. And yes, I did turn around to make sure the mysterious Playmate was not there. I also thought that he hadn’t actually said what he said. Maybe he said have a lovely day or it’s a lovely day…but he didn’t…..

Every time I think about it I smile. No one (of the opposite sex that is) has said anything that kind to me, in person, in a very long time.

He said “You look lovely today”.

2 Comments:

Blogger james r. said...

i get really embarrassed when i receive a compliment. like, "Oh, um. Thank you. You're completely insane and couldn't possibly be talking to me, but thank you, you've made my day." ;)

and it really does make your day, doesn't it? i'm glad it did.

11:17 PM  
Blogger james r. said...

now tell me... how the hell does the word "does" turn into "/* ...?

and how does a person incorporate that into daily conversation?

"Quote-slash-astersik Number Three bus stop here?"

"Yes, my accountant quote-slash-asterisk my taxes on time, every time."

"Using too much fuel is just what my old car quote-slash-asterisk..."

hmm. maybe not.

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home