Saturday, September 02, 2006

Funny where you find good poetry….

I came across this when I went through my 80’s memory phase. I saw it on “Night Court” one night and it took me hours of watching re-runs to get the whole thing written down. I don’t know who wrote it, I recently tried to look it up but all I got were blogs and didn’t have the patience to search through them all.

When we were young our parents told us Santa Claus was real…
then they said he wasn’t.
One book said Jesus lived…
then another said he didn’t.
We’re living in the greatest country in the world…
yet we are killing each other in the streets.
The world told us to believe in the Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny…
yet they gave us the nuclear bomb to play with.
Hey Diddle Diddle the Cat and the Fiddle were lies like all the rest.
Astronauts killed the Man in the Moon…
and growing up took care of the rest.

I’ve always liked that poem.

I still wish I believed in Santa…that was so much fun.

I remember one year…I guess I was about six, all I wanted was a doll house for Christmas. Unbeknown to me, that year Santa was my grandfather. I don’t know how long it took him to build it but come Christmas morning…me running down the stairs and turning the corner to the living room to see that enormous house was the most amazing moment. A two story doll house with working lights….it even had stairs. The smell of the fresh sanded wood was over whelming.

That was a good Christmas…not for the fact of what I got…but for the love that was put into it.

I guess that’s what makes a Santa...

1 Comments:

Blogger mindy said...

i love santa..
i'm 34 and still make my mom and step-dad give us santa presents.. hehehe!!
ooohh.. and playing santa is going to be fun this year!

6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home