Thursday, December 07, 2006

I use to watch a show called “Cell Dogs”

It was an on going documentary about a program for convicts to learn to train dogs that would other wise be euthanized. I watched it until it was cancelled but definately learned a few things from the show.

It was pretty much the basics…sit, heal, stay…some tips for dogs that were out of control…but there was one episode that they taught what to do if your dog was choking. Dogs aren’t built like humans, obviously…you actually have to stand up grab them and turn them upside down so their whole body is one long line. That opens up the throat passage and you can actually give them the heimlich.

I tend to babble when I’m interested in a subject and when I watched this show I would recap everything. Annoying huh? But today that little tid bit of information I mentioned saved a dogs life.

My next door neighbor “C” left me a message tonight. He was in the bedroom and he heard one of his dogs making weird noises. He walked into the kitchen and his dog was going into convulsions he was choking. He tried the human heimlich and it didn’t work then he remembered what I had told him about Cell Dogs.

He flipped a 200lb dog upside down and gave him a couple of heave hoes and poof. The convulsions stopped and C lowered the dog to the floor and all the sudden his dog jumped up like he never had in his life and literally pushed C over trying to lick him to death.

C called to thank me tonight…he said he thought that his dog would have died today if it wasn't for what I told him. It made me a little teary eyed…ok a lot teary eyed.

And here all along I thought I just spouted worthless information.

2 Comments:

Blogger Walter said...

Information is never worthless. :)

7:10 AM  
Blogger Otis said...

You rock like a chair.

Texas is proud.

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home