Sunday, February 25, 2007

For the second time

I encountered a major accident.

As I passed over the Hyperion bridge to go and get dog food I saw a car with a hand waving out the driver side window and then the remains of a bicycle. I pulled over grabbed my cell phone. 911…again, for the second time.

There was a man lying on the ground covered in blood. The man that hit him didn’t even get out of the car.

I touched the guy’s arm and told him not to move. The 911 operator answered and asked where we were. All I knew was the Hyperion bridge. As I looked up for any signs of a street I heard her say “We now have several calls from that location. Everyone is saying the same thing but we need streets.” I realized that I had walked away looking for street signs and several cars had stopped. Where did those people come from? I looked at the two people that were now holding this mans hands and asked them what the cross streets were. They gave me one and then I heard sirens.

Four cruisers showed up when I was still on the line with 911 but the person on the other end was saying that the ambulance still couldn’t find it. I actually had to ask her if she wanted to talk to one of the police officers. Then I heard the fire truck and the ambulance and I guess so did she.

In total 5 cars pulled over and there were two people on foot. Who said people don’t want to get involved?

When the paramedics came I had to walk behind a pillar. His hip didn’t look right and I knew his leg was broken…bad, it was twisted like something you would see in a horror movie.

I heard a paramedic say “Dude, I think you’re a little fucked up, just calm down.”

Then I saw a flashlight in my face. “Were you the first on the scene?” she said

“Someone waved me over and I stopped.”

“Did you call 911?”

“Yes”

“Did you see it happen?”

“No, I just pulled over to help.”

Another woman that pulled over after me came up to us and started talking to her.

There were so many people and police there that I decided to slide out silently and went to my car. Turned the key…isn’t this where it’s suppose to fucking start? Once again my forehead fell to the top of the steering wheel and I started to cry.

Tap…was the flashlight on my window.

“Are you ok?” she said

“No, not after that. Just give me and my car a second.”

I tried again and the monster fired up.

“Good” she said and tapped the side of my car twice and walked away.

They blocked the whole bridge off.

The bridge they couldn’t find.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home