Tuesday, February 13, 2007

$736.26

I've been carrying a check for this amount from the State for over a month. It was sent to me after I had gone back to work so I assumed it must have been a mistake.

I knew when I opened it that it was a little different that the disability checks I had received before but I just shoved it back in the envelope and thought "Oh how I wish…I'll have to call and find out what the mistake was and send it back.”

I put it with all my bills. It's been swimming around there for a few weeks. I kept pushing it to the bottom of the pile. I felt just a little richer knowing that I had it and not really wanting to know that I might have to send it back. I came across the check again today and finally read the check stub. Well color me happy and a procrastinator.

It seems the state made a mistake and didn't pay me for 11 days in December. I drove straight to the bank after work and deposited it in my savings account (scary for me). I now have more in my savings than I think I have had in a helluvalongtime. It's not just that check but it added to what I had.

Today I paid all my bills in full and I opened a second savings account before I even found out that check was mine.

I think my mind is starting to settle. I think I’m starting to realize what’s important. It’s coming a little slower than I had hoped but it’s here.

I have always lived like there is no tomorrow without even knowing it.

It just took $736.26 to make me think that I just might be here tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger mindy said...

i told you to cash it!! hahahah

5:32 AM  
Blogger Otis said...

India,

GOOD FOR YOU!

I hope things are well with you!

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home