Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Black Wednesday


Adorned in my usual black attire, for this day I left for work not fore seeing how the day would unfold. In my world I should have had suspicions.

The usual hubbub for this day. People in red and pink, flowers being delivered left and right and women huddled around desks when one of them got flowers.

I love the crap that I hear on this Valentines but I do have a personal favorite that seems to come out of at least one woman’s mouth. “This is such a commercial holiday, it doesn’t mean anything. What matters is how your guy treats you on a daily basis. I don’t want my boyfriend to buy me anything on Valentine’s Day.”

Ummmm, that’s bullshit if I ever heard it. I don’t care how commercial this holiday is EVERY girl wants at least something even if it’s just a card or an email. I won’t lie about it. This day is what it is. I don’t think that girls can help but get caught up in it. I think it was basically created for women. Not that I ever wanted anything fancy on this day but a flower or a card is nice. It’s the thought behind it that counts…an email would make me happy.

Or so I thought…

If the gesture is coming from the devil himself then it’s not quite so special.

All of the above chatter, flowers and candy is probably why I was once again, delivered to the gates of hell.

I’m sure you’ve already guessed where this is heading.

DD called me at work today. He was at my office building and said he had something for me. He was downstairs and asked me if I could come down. My first instinct was to say no but I figured he’s been sober for almost a month and he was trying to be nice. Ok I agreed.

It took me all of maybe 5 minutes to get to the lobby and out the door and there was already a commotion. Hmmm….what’s going on? I can’t even explain why I don’t see these situations coming anymore. Maybe I feel that people grow and change…well most people do but not him.

It seems that DD had parked his bike on the steps of the office building Carlos the outside security guard had told him to move it. Of course DD went ballistic. When I walked out the door Eton the security guard that works in the lobby was talking to Carlos. Eton knows DD and was still under the misconception that we were still together. He said “Indie, DD is over there.” I walked to the sidewalk where he was waiting. I said “What is going on?” I didn’t realize that Carlos was right behind me.

“Fuck Off” DD screamed. I turned to my right and Carlos put his hand on my arm. He started to tell me what happen and DD interrupted him. “Dude, just get the fuck out of here.” I looked at DD and said “I work here. This is my job.” Carlos spoke “Yes and you could easily get this young lady fired. You need to respect this property and me and her.”

“Just fuck off she’s here it’s under control.” He screamed

I looked at Carlos and said “I’ll come and talk to you in a second we’ll take it down the block.”

“I work here DD I’ve told you several times not to come here.”

“The guy was giving me shit about having my bike on the stairs. It fucking pissed me off.”

I repeated myself “I work here.”

He pulled a gift out of a bag and I was going to post a picture of but I just can’t. It’s not offense by normal standards but it was insulting to me on so many levels.

“I needed to get out of my head that’s why I bought you this. I was just trying to do something nice and look what it fucking got me. I have to get the fuck out of here. I’ll talk to you later.” With that he jumped on his little bicycle and faded into the boardwalk.

I do have to admit that this experience did have a surprising revelation.

I went to Carlos and apologized for the incident. Stated that is why he is my EX boyfriend. He was very sweet to me. I must also say for being all of twenty I do love the fact that he called me young lady. Heh.

Eton was the revelation. As I walked through the lobby to the elevators he said “I’m sorry Indie I was trying to figure out what was going on when you walked out. Is everything ok with your boyfriend?”

“He’s my ex-boyfriend now Eton and what just happened is a big reason why.”

“I have to tell you Indie that I thought I noticed something different about you over the last year and you saying that made me realize why. I haven’t seen you this way since he stopped coming around. You’re back to more of who you are.” Ahhh Eton….a man of sincerity and happiness everyday. He’s the kind of person people strive to be. Wisdom beyond his years.

I was teary eyed for the rest of the day and again now just writing what he said to me. I had changed without even knowing it.

He made me proud.

There isn’t a rose in this world that smells as sweet as he made me feel.

5 Comments:

Blogger Walter said...

Eton is DA MAN!

8:05 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

I can see why you loved DD...with his patience, demeanor and obvious mastery of the english language.

Okay, I jest. But since I've already crossed the "none of my business" line a hundred times before, I will say that DD's MRI shows he could use some fresh AAs before he pedals his ten speed attitude to the wrong person.

Eton is a smart man.

Now all that remains is for you to remember this moment, and never feel like that again.

Happy Valentine's Day.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

Lost in my sea of mismatched metaphor, I realize my last statement was unclear:

I meant to say "...remember this moment, and never feel like DD made you feel, ever again."

Now that I've lowered the property value of this blog by putting my face on it twice, I will shut up.

11:00 PM  
Blogger Otis said...

Indie, I know it's wrong for me to say this but I wish I could kick his ass just on principle.

I'm proud fo Eton and Carlos because they, like most of us, see you as you are...a wonderful person.

7:09 AM  
Blogger iamfallingfromgrace said...

Eton is the man and oh how I appreciate him. I did gain a friend from this incident…Carlos.

Brad…a man of many words all worth reading.

Otis…you could take him. I know you could…by the way thank you for what you said it meant a lot to me.

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home